Monday, April 19, 2010

The Watermelon Man

Do you know the Watermelon Man? You mean the Muffin Man? No, the Watermelon Man. You don't? Well then, I must introduce you to him.

Forth year running, Channel 7's Australia's Got Talent seems to get more and more peculiar. Now don't get me wrong, many of those who step on that stage have bucket loads of talent - be it dancing, singing, beat boxing, contortion, acting, juggling fire torches, etc, the list just doesn't seem to end. There are also those who go on hoping to bedazzle the crowd, which they do in an unusual way. The Watermelon Man would have to be one of them.

Walking on to the stage, his upper body covered with blue, red and white paint, the only thing that was running through my head was "this must be a joke". My judgement was reinforce when the music starts and he does some kind of dance ritual. When he raises a watermelon over his head and begins smashing it against his skull splitting it in half, I'd come to the immediate conclusion that he was either a lunatic or a complete drunk (or maybe even a combination of both) and couldn't possibly go through with such a "talent". But I was completely wrong.

I don't know what is more bizarre: the fact that a middle aged English teacher is smashing watermelons on his head (I wonder what it would be like to be in his classes) or that all three judges in the panel admitted him to the next round. I'd like to see what his next act would be. Maybe go for the durians?

Well, you be the judge:

No comments:

Post a Comment